Atarax (Hydroxyzine) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antihistamine
Hydroxyzine belongs to the family of antihistamines. It acts as a sedative, tranquilizer and analgesic drug. It was manufactured by Union Chimique Belge in the year 1956 and was brought into the market by a pharmaceutical company called Pfizer, the same year.
It is sold under various brand names like Vistaril, Atarax, Masmoran, Durrax, Tranquizine and many more. It is used for the treatment of dermatitis and urticaria. It can also be used to treat anxiety and stress related disorders in adults.
How to use Atarax?
It is advisable to use Atarax under medical supervision. The dosage is based on age, health and general health condition of the patient. In case of children, even body weight is considered before a prescription is issued.
The medicine is available in two forms: tablets and syrup. Take the tablet orally with a glass of water. It should be taken three or four times in a day. It is important that you follow the doctor’s instructions to the T.
The drug can be taken with or without food. If you intend to take the syrup, accurately measure the dosage in the measuring cup. Do not take extra doses to make up with the missed ones. Do not stop the medication without doctor’s approval. There can be situations where the symptoms have improved but the disease is not cured.
The medicine should be stored at temperatures below 25 degrees C. Ensure that you keep it in a cool and dry place. Throw away unused medicine after its expiry date.
What Precautions should be taken when using Atarax?
• Inform your doctor if you are allergic to hydroxyzine or to the inactive ingredients present in the medicine.
• People having liver and/ or kidney problems, glaucoma, breathing problems, stomach and intestine disorders should consult doctor before taking the medication.
• Inform your doctor or dentist that you are on Atarax medication. This will help in prevention of interaction between Atarax and those medicines.
• Do no drink alcohol during the medication period. It can cause adverse effects on your health.
• Pregnant women must use this medicine only under medical supervision.
• You need to consult your doctor about the use of this drug if you are breastfeeding.
What are the benefits of Atarax?
There are so many benefits you can enjoy with this drug:
• Atarax shows its effect very fast and stays for about 6 to 8 hours.
• It can be used for pain relief.
• It also helps in preventing nausea and vomiting.
• It is quite safe; it offers minimum sides effects.
• It can be taken during pregnancy, under the supervision of the doctor.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.