Claritin (Loratadine) - Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antihistamine
Claritin is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body. These histamines are known for the symptoms like watery eyes, sneezing and runny nose. It is also used to treat skin hives and itching in people with chronic skin reactions. It can also be used for the treatment of mild to moderate headaches.
Loratadine is the generic name of this antihistamine and it is marketed under many brand names namely Wal-itin, Alavert, Claritin Liqui-Gels, Claritin 24 Hour Allergy, Claritin Hives Relief, and Tavist ND among others.
It was marketed by Schering-Plough and Shionogi in Japan under multiple brand names. It is world famous for its nonsedating properties. FDA gave its approval for the use of this drug in the year 1993.
How Is Claritin Used?
Claritin dosage is based on your age, condition and response to the treatment. Hence, take Claritin as per the directions given by your doctor. It is usually taken once in a day. It can be taken with or without food.
The drug is available in many forms- tablets and oral suspension/liquid. Nowadays even quick dissolving tablets called oral disintegrating tablets (ODT) are available.
You may take the tablet with a glass of water. Ensure that you swallow the tablet instead of crushing or chewing it. Use a measuring cup when using oral suspension to ensure that you are taking the medication in accurate dosage.
Be aware that Claritin ODT is dispersible and hence, it may crumble if handled with wet hands. Drink it as soon as it dissolves.
Claritin should be stored at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
What Precautions Are Needed For Claritin?
• Firstly, it is always important to inform the doctor about any other medications used. This would prevent complications and side effects.
• Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you have any liver or kidney disease.
• Ensure that you know what diet you should follow with the medication. Report immediately to the doctor if you are allergic to the eatables suggested.
• Claritin is passed into the breast milk and can harm the baby. Women who are breastfeeding should not take this medication without consulting a doctor.
• If you are suffering from phenylketonuria, kindly consult the doctor before starting the medication.
Benefits of using Claritin
• Claritin is an alcohol free and lactose free medicine hence, it benefits a very wide range of people;
• It offers long-acting effects which provide great relief to the affected person.
• Claritin causes minimal drowsiness when used; hence, it is safer and better than most antihistamine medications.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.