Grifulvin – Medicat Facts You Need To Know About This Anti fungal Drug
Grifulvin is used to treat fungal infections of the hair, skin and nails that do not usually respond to normal skin lotions and creams. The medicine acts by inhibiting the growth of fungus on the skin and is ineffective against yeast and bacterial infections.
The drug has been approved and accredited by the FDA and is marketed under the brand name Grifulvin V. This anti-fungal agent has been produced from the strains of Penicillium griseofulvum and has been isolated for the first time in the year 1939. It acts by inhibiting the cell division of fungus and has proved to be effective only against dermatophytosis that involved large surface area of the body.
How to use Grifulvin:
It is important to use the drug as indicated and to shake the suspension bottle well before use. The medicine is taken orally and is best absorbed when taken with food that contains moderate fat. The dosage is based on weight for kids and the length of the treatment depends of the type of the infection. It is important to take Grifulvin at even spaced intervals and to complete the prescribed course of treatment as prescribed. It is important to complete the entire course of the drug to avoid recurrence of the infection.
Precautions and Contraindications:
It could be dangerous to use the drug by people with known allergies for foods, dyes and preservatives. The effect of the drug on pregnant and breast feeding women has not been decided so far. Grifulvin could react with some medications such as desogestrel, drospirenone, Estradiol valerate, Ethynodiol diacetate, warfarin, Mestranol, Norethindrone etc. the drug is totally unsafe to be combined with alcohol.
People with prior history of candidiasis, histoplasmosis, Sporotrichosis, Lupus etc should intimate their physician before they get prescribed for Grifulvin.
Benefits of Grifulvin:
• Grifulvin has been proven to be beneficial in the treatment of fungal infections that involve scalp, fingernails, skin, groin, thighs and feet.
• Unlike other anti-fungal agents, the drug is not effective when taken topically. It cures skin infections that involve large surface area.
• Grifulvin has great potentials to be used as an anti-cancer agent. The drug inhibits mitosis or cell division of cancer cells which would eventually result in the death of cancer cells.
• It has very little side effects or toxic effects when compared to other drugs of the same class.
• The drug is safe to use for paediatric population and does not cause much serious effects in pregnant and lactating women.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.