Combivir (Lamivudine) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
Lamivudine is the drug used for the treatment of HIV infection. It is administered in combination with another drug called Zidovudine. Combivir belongs to a family of Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors (NRTIs).
Combivir was first manufactured by ViiV Healthcare and was approved for use by FDA in the year 1997. Combivir is also sold under other trade names. For example: Epivir, Trizivir, Kivexa and Zeffix. Combivir does not cure HIV infection or AIDS. This medicine only prevents the HIV virus or AIDS from multiplying in the body.
How to use Combivir?
It is advisable to consult the doctor before starting this medication. The composition of Combivir consists of 150mg of Lamivudine , 300mg of Zidovudine and few inactive ingredients like colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, sodium starch glycolate and many more.
Take one tablet twice daily with a glass of water. It can be taken with or without food. Do not increase the doses or stop them without doctor’s approval.
Take Combivir everyday at the same time. This will ensure even level of drug in blood. Also ensure that you do not take extra doses in order to make up with the missed ones. Swallow the tablets. Do not crush or chew them.
Ensure that you store Combivir at temperatures below 30 degree C. Keep the tablets away from heat and moisture.
Throw away the medicine if after its expiry.
What Precautions should be taken?
• Visit your doctor on regular basis.
• This medicine should not be administered to children below the age of 12 years.
• Combivir contains some inactive ingredients which can cause allergic reactions. Hence consult your doctor before starting medication.
• Do not take this drug if you have liver or kidney problems.
• If you are suffering from pancreatitis, consult doctor before taking Combivir.
• Avoid alcoholic beverages.
• Always practice safe sex. There can be chances of spread of HIV infection virus.
• Do not share razors or syringe needles with anybody. Chances of disease contraction are more if you do so.
• You must not take Combivir if you have low red blood cell and while blood cell count.
• HIV medicines can be used by HIV positive pregnant women. It is very important to treat HIV during pregnancy.
• Combivir passes into breast milk. Hence, breastfeeding your baby may harm the baby.
What are the benefits of using Combivir?
• This is a very effective drug on controlling the majority of the symptoms associated with HIV.
• Combivir prevents the development of cancer besides infections linked with HIV.
• The drug has almost no side effects.
• It is FDA approved hence, it is safe for use.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.