Keflex – Medical Facts You Should Know
Cefalexin is a cephalosporin antibiotic. Eli Lilly and Company introduced this medicine to the market in the year 1967. It was approved by FDA in 1971. Keflex is used for the treatment of various infections like pneumonia, otitis media, urinary tract infections and many others.
It is famous under brand names like Ceporex, Ceforal, Biocef, Ospexin, Rancef, Ulexin and many others.
How to use Keflex?
It is advisable to take Keflex under medical supervision. The primary factors on which the dosage amount is dependent is your health condition and how you respond to the treatment. Weight, too, plays a major role in children.
The medicine is available as tablets, capsules and oral suspension. The drug should be taken orally with or without food. Normally it is prescribed to divide the per day dosage into 2 to 4 times doses. Follow doctor’s/ pharmacist’s instructions carefully. The oral suspension dose should be carefully measured in a measuring spoon or cup before consumption.
Do not take extra doses to make up with the missed ones.
Tablets and capsules should be stored at room temperature. Store this drug away from heat and moisture. Oral suspension of medicine should be refrigerated between 2 to 8 degrees C. Ensure that you do not freeze it. Throw away the liquid after 14 days of use.
What Precautions should be taken when using Keflex?
• Keflex contains some inactive ingredients like magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide, gelatin and many others. These substances can induce allergic reactions hence, inform your doctor if you suffer from any allergy.
• This medicine should be administered with caution in people suffering from stomach, kidney or intestinal disease.
• Inform your doctor or dentist the you are using this drug in case you are going to have surgery.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should consult the doctor before taking this medication, lest it would affect the baby.
• Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juices as this interferes heavily with its intended action.
• Alcohol when taken during the medication course can bring a series of harmful side effects. Hence, avoid alcohol consumption during this treatment.
What are the benefits of Keflex?
This drug offers plenty of benefits among which are the following:
• Since Keflex is an FDA approved drug, it is safe for use.
• It can be used very effectively in the treatment of bacterial endocarditis.
• It is also very effective in the treatment for certain kinds of skin infections.
• It is low in cost, which means anyone can use this drug as required.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.