Myambutol: Medical Facts That You Should Know About This Drug
Myambutol has been in use for a long time for the treatment of tuberculosis.
This drug is basically an oral chemotherapeutic agent and an antibiotic that limits the growth of bacteria by killing them. This drug is also effective in tuberculosis treatment.
What Is Myambutol?
It is an antibiotic marketed under the trade name of Myambutol and generic name Ethambutol. It is an effective drug to when used against the mycobacterium avium complex. Therapeutically it is classified as an anti-tuberculosis drug. It is a prescription drug and hence, it may not be available without a doctor’s prescription.
What Is It Used For?
The drug is used for:
• treating atypical infections of the respiratory tract caused by mycobacterium avium, the causative organism tuberculosis;
• treating most of the bacterial infections;
• treating patients with advance AIDS disease, in which a re-infection with mycobacterium has to be prevented.
How Should You Use It?
Myambutol is prescribed as a standalone medication; instead it is given as a part of multi-drug therapy. The dosage is calculated as 15 mg per kg body weight of the patient. You can take the drug with or without the drug. The drug should be taken in a single dose once a day. Do not exceed the prescribed dosage. The drug should be taken at least 4 hours before or after you take antacids. If the treatment is being repeated, the dosage should be increased to 25 mg per kg body weight lest the bacteria have grown resistant to the medication.
Contraindications And Precautions
It is recommended that you undertake regular eye checkup people when you are under this treatment. Inform your physician if you have a medical history of eye problems. Since the drug causes dizziness, patients are advised to avoid driving cars or operating any type of dangerous machinery.
The drug has been give status C for use in pregnancy, which means it can only be administered in cases where saving the life of mother is more important than that of the fetus. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Benefits Or Advantages Of This Drug
This is a very effective drug. Some of the outstanding benefits are:
• This is a very effective drug for a number of bacterial infections including tuberculosis;
• The drug offers very limited side effects, which is why it is preferred over many other drugs used for treating tuberculosis;
• This is an FDA approved drug hence, you know that it is safe and effective
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.