Omnicef (Cefdinir) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Antibiotic
Omnicef belongs to a family of antibiotics called cephalosporin. It is a bactericidal antibiotic and is used to treat all types of infections caused by bacteria. For example, you have soft tissue infections, respiratory tract infections, acute exacerbations of bronchitis, otitis media (middle ear infections). It can also be used to treat infections caused by many Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Like all other antibiotics, it does not cure any viral infections.
This drug was discovered by Fujisawa Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd. who introduced it into the market as Cefzon in the year 1991. Later, in the year 1998, Abbott obtained the marketing rights and changed it to Omnicef (Cefdinir). It was approved by FDA on 5th December 1997. Omnicef and Omnicef Omni Pac are the brand names of Cefdinir.
How To Use Omnicef?
It is always advisable to consult your doctor before taking the drug since the dosage depends upon the type of infection.
This drug is available in the market in two forms, i.e. capsules and oral suspension. The capsule needs to be taken with a glass of water. It can be taken with or without food. In case you are taking oral suspension, shake the bottle well and measure accurately the amount as prescribed by the doctor in a measuring cup.
Do not take any antacids containing magnesium and aluminum within 2 hours before and after you take Omnicef. Ensure that you take the drug at the same time of the day. In case you miss any dose; do not take more medicines to make up with the missed ones. Complete the entire course as indicated by your doctor for best results.
Omnicef should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. Unused liquid which is older than 10 days should be thrown away.
What Precautions Do I Need To Take?
• Ensure that you are not allergic to penicillin or any other cephalosporin antibiotics. If yes, then consult your doctor before medication.
• Senior people who have kidney problems are advised to take Omnicef only under strict medical supervision since it is excreted through urine.
• Avoid consumption of alcohol during the entire medication course. The drug may interact with alcohol and produce life-threatening effects.
• This medicine should be used by pregnant ladies only if it has been prescribed by the doctor.
• Though this drug does not pass into breast milk, an approval from doctor is important.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Omnicef?
• This is a highly effective and affordable drug.
• It is FDA approved which proves it is safe and effective at the same time.
• It is highly effective in treating all kinds of bacterial infections.
• It is easily available both online and offline.
• It is affordable without compromising on quality of treatment.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.