Casodex (Bicalutamide) - Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
Casodex is a non-steroidal and anti-androgen drug. It is primarily used for the treatment of prostate cancer (especially at stage D2 when the cancer has spread to other parts of the body) and hirsuitism.
Bicalutamide is its generic name and it is sold under brand names like Casodex, Cosudex, Calutide and Kalumid all over the world. It was approved by FDA in the year 1995 and first marketed by AstraZeneca.
Casodex is a teratogen and should not be taken by pregnant ladies. It may cause harm to the growing fetus. Store Casodex at room temperature and also keep it away from heat, light and moisture.
How To Use Casodex?
Casodex should be taken under medical supervision. The dosage is based on your condition and how you respond to the treatment. Generally, the prescription involves taking one tablet of 150mg daily. This tablet can be taken with or without food. It is best to take it at the same time of the day; this ensures that the level of the drug is maintained through the treatment period.
Do not take two doses in order to make up for the missed ones. Ensure that you take the exact amount as prescribed by the doctor. The duration of medication course should be at least for two years or till the disease gets completely cured.
It is also important to urinate before taking Casodex.
What Precautions Do I Need To Take While Using Casodex?
• Casodex contains inactive agents like lactose, titanium dioxide, sodium starch glycolate, magnesium stearate and many others. These ingredients can cause allergies. Hence, tell your doctor if you are allergic to them.
• If you have heart problems, consulting doctor is mandatory.
• Persons having liver diseases, diabetes, breathing problems must consult the doctor before starting the medication.
• Casodex should not be administered to patients having Lapp lactase deficiency.
• Do not drink alcohol during the medication course.
• Drink lots of water.
• Casodex should not normally be taken by women and children. However, if so prescribed, care should be taken to see that she is not pregnant and is not breastfeeding her baby.
What are the benefits of Casodex?
There are many benefits this drug offers among which the top ones are:
• Casodex is a very effective drug for the treatment of hepatic and renal impairments.
• Casodex when used in combination with other drugs reduces the risk of death by 20% in prostate cancer.
• It is also effective in the treatment of ovarian cancer.
• It significantly reduces the risk of impotence when compared to other drugs.
• It is easily available and it is easy on the pocket.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.