Lopid (Gemfibrozil) – Medical Facts You Should Know
Gemfibrozil belongs to the family of fibrates. It is used to maintain a lower level of lipid or fats inside our body. It is manufactured by Pfizer Pharmaceuticals Group. Lopid was approved by FDA in the year 1981. It is popular by many brand names like Lopid, Gen-Fibro, Gemcor, Jezil among others.
There are two kinds of lipids present in our body: the LDL (also called as ‘bad’) and the HDL (also called as ‘good’). The LDL gets deposited inside the arteries and thus increases the risk of heart attack. The HDL is responsible for protection of these arteries from LDL. There is also another type of compounds called triglycerides which further add to the risk. Lopid is known to decrease the production of these harmful compounds, i.e. LDLs and triglycerides, and increase the HDL level.
How to use Lopid?
Use Lopid only under doctor’s supervision. Your health and your response to the medication are the major factors contributing to ascertaining the dosage amount that needs to be administered.
The medicine should be taken orally once or twice in a day. Ensure that you take it at least 30 minutes before having your food. Do not stop the medication mid-course because the medicine shows its effect slowly. Sometimes it may take months before you find total relief.
The medicine should be stored at temperatures below 30 degrees C. Heat and moisture can cause adverse effects on medicine. Hence ensure that you keep the medicine away from it in an air tight comatiner.
What Precautions should be taken while using Lopid?
• The medicine is usually not recommended for people above 70 years of age.
• It is found that allergic reactions are caused in the body due to the inactive ingredients present in Lopid. Hence inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of them.
• People suffering from liver, kidney and/ or gallbladder diseases must not take this medicine.
• Inform your doctor or dentist about any other medications you are taking in case you are having a surgery.
• This medicine should not be used by pregnant women.
• Avoid this drug if you are breastfeeding.
• Avoid alcohol intake as it may cause serious liver problems.
• Follow the diet pattern as suggested by your doctor.
Top benefits of using Lopid
• Since Lopid reduces the high cholesterol levels, it decreases the risk of heart attacks and other heart related problems.
• It can be used in combination with other statins for the treatment of rhabdomyolysis.
• It is an FDA approved drug, which is safe to use for short term and long term.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.