Zocor (Simvastatin) – Medical Facts You Should Know About This Drug
Simvastatin belongs to statin family of medicines. It is a hypolipidemic drug. Merck and Co. is responsible for bringing Zocor into the market. It is sold under various brand names like Zorced, Lodales, Simvatin, Sinvacor, Zimstat, Sivastin to name a few.
The drug was approved by FDA in the year 1991. Zocor is used to lower the cholesterol levels in our body, which in turn helps in decreasing the risk of heart related problems.
How to use Zocor?
It is always recommended that you start using this medication with your doctor’s consent. The dosage amount depends on your age, your health condition and how well you respond to the treatment. Usually a tablet of 40 mg is administered. Depending upon how you respond to the treatment, the dosage amount can be increased up to 80 mg and decreased to 5 mg.
The medicine has to be taken orally with a glass of water. You can have it with or without meals. Do not increase the dose or stop the medication without doctor’s approval. By doing this, you are only prolonging the medication period. Do not take extra doses in case you miss some.
Zocor should be stored at room temperature. Ensure that you keep it away from heat, light and moisture. Throw away unused medicine after its expiry.
What Precautions should be taken when using Zocor?
• Zocor contains inactive ingredients such as citric acid, starch, titanium dioxide, ascorbic acid and many others. These ingredients can cause allergic reactions in the body. Hence consulting your doctor prior to the medication will be useful.
• Do not use the medicine if you have any liver and/or kidney diseases.
• Avoid alcohol consumption since alcohol and the medicine may interfere with each other to cause serious liver problems and sometimes even death. Do not smoke.
• Avoid grape fruit and grape fruit juices. It can cause adverse effects.
• Do not take Zocor if you are pregnant. If you are planning to get pregnant, let your doctor known.
• Ensure that you do not breastfeed your child during the medication period.
• Follow the diet pattern as suggested by the doctor.
• Exercise regularly.
What are the top 5 benefits of Zocor?
• Zocor is an affordable drug and is easily available in the pharmacies.
• It can also be used for the treatment of diabetes along with some other medications.
• This is an excellent medication which consistently decreases the amount of cholesterol produced in our body.
• This drug has been approved by FDA, hence you can buy and use this medication without worrying about its safety.
• It is also highly affordable.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.