Carafate (Sucralfate) – Medical Facts You Should Know
Sucralfate is a cytoprotective agent used mainly in the treatment of duodenal ulcers. This drug is sold under various brand names such as Sucramal, Sutra, Carafate, Hapifate and many others all over the world. It was approved by FDA in 1981.
Our stomach secretes large amounts of acid, which is required and used during the digestion of food and to kill harmful germs which enter our body through the food we consume. Sometimes, due to extra secretion of this acid, a condition called acidity is caused. When neglected over a period of time, this eats the stomach lining causing bleeding ulcers which are both painful and dangerous. Carafate acts as a protective shield over the ulcerated area, protects it from further damage and accelerates healing.
How to use Carafate?
It is advisable to take Carafate under doctor’s supervision. The dosage depends on the health condition and the response of the patient to the treatment.
The medicine should be taken orally with a glass of water. It should be taken two to four times in a day about 1 hour before the meals or as recommended by your doctor. Antacids may also be taken if needed. Avoid taking Carafate with other medicines as it may cause serious side effects.
Usually it takes around 4 to 8 weeks for the ulcer to heal completely with this medication. Hence, do not stop the medication in between or interrupt the course without doctor’s approval. Do not take extra medicine to make up with the missed ones.
The medicine should be stored at temperatures between 20 to 25 degrees C. Ensure that you keep it away from moisture and light.
What Precautions should be taken while using Carafate?
• Carafate contains many inactive ingredients which can trigger allergies. Inform your doctor if you have any allergies before you take this medication.
• Thos who suffer from any type of stomach problems, intestine problems must consult doctor before starting with this medication.
• Senior people with impaired kidney functioning should take this medication only under the supervision of the physician. This medicine contains aluminium which is mainly excreted by kidneys. Hence, caution should be exercised.
• Pregnant and breastfeeding women should take this medication only after consulting the doctor.
• Do not drink alcoholic beverages or smoke while you are on the medication.
What are the benefits of using Carafate?
There are many benefits that this drug offers among which the following are most important:
• Carafate cause minimal side effects when compared to other drugs of same kind.
• It is very effective in treating gastro-esophageal reflux disease in pregnant women.
• It inhibits the formation of stricture in corrosive burns.
• It is an FDA approved drug and hence, generally safe to use.
• It is priced economically and is easily available online and offline and hence, anyone can use it whenever required.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.