Pepcid: Medical Facts You Should Know About This anti-acid drug!
What is Pepcid?
The active ingredient of Pepcid is famotidine which is used as a blocker for histamine-2. It is used to treat ulcers in the intestine and stomach. This is done by checking the amount of acid produced by stomach with the help of the drug. The syndrome of Zollinger-Ellison is also treated with the help of this drug.
Various medicines containing famotidine is Pepcid AC, Heartburn Relief, Pepcid AC Chewable tablets and also Pepcid Complete.
What it is used for?
Pepcid is usually taken orally to treat a variety of medical conditions. It is used to treat gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this medical condition acid back flows into the esophagus from the stomach. This causes heartburn and also uneasiness in the stomach. It is also used to treat stomach pain.
Symptom of indigestion caused by too much acid production in the stomach is also treated by Pepcid. Sometimes throat problems caused by too much acid can also be prevented by taking the drug. Intestinal ulcers caused due to side-effect of some treatment may also be cured by the drug.
How do you take the drug?
If taken orally, Pepcidshould be consumed with or without food. Take dosage according to the prescription of medical practitioner. Usually it is advised once or twice daily. The length of the treatment depends on the medical condition of the patient.
In case of children, body weight determines the dosage of the drug. Store it away from sunlight or there might be reaction. Do not use Pepcid liquid which has been opened for more than 30 days. The chewable tablets should be thoroughly chewed before swallowing.
In case you miss a dose, take it immediately as you remember it. Never overdose to make up for the missed dose.
Any Contraindications/ Precautions
Certain things should be kept in mind before starting the treatment. Inform your doctor about any other undergoing medication.
• Inform your doctor if you take aspirin.
• The doctor should be informed about other drugs too like Reyataz, Sporanox and Nizoral.
• Inform your doctor if you are allergic to famotidine.
• Tell your doctor if you have any kind of lung, liver or kidney problems before starting the medication.
• Do not use it for children less than 12 years of age unless otherwise prescribed by the doctor.
• The drug is not safe for pregnant or breast feeding mothers.
Pepcid has got some side-effects. If conditions persist or become severe then it is advisable to consult a doctor.
• Dizziness and headache are usual side-effects of Pepcid.
• Constipation and diarrhea may be experienced.
• Irregular heartbeat might also occur.
• Fever and cough is also observed in some patients.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.