Prilosec (Omeprazole) – Medical Facts You Should Know
Omeprazole belongs to the family of proton pump inhibitors. AstraZeneca marketed this drug in the year 1989. It is sold under various brand names like Omeclamox-Pak, Prilosec, Zegerid, Omesec and many others.
Prilosec is used in the treatment of gastro esophageal reflux disease, peptic ulcer disease, laryngopharyngeal reflux and dyspepsia.
How to use Prilosec?
It is advisable to consult doctor before starting the medication. The dosage amount is dependent on your health condition and how you respond to the treatment. It is available in the form of capsules.
You should take this medicine orally, once in a day in the prescribed dose. It should be taken before meals.
Ensure that you swallow the medicine as it is. Do not crush, split or chew the capsule. In case you cannot swallow it, split it and pour the contents in apple sauce and have it. Avoid chewing the granules too. You should take this mixture immediately. If it is left open for longer duration then there are chances of medicine getting destroyed. Antacids may be taken if needed.
Do not take extra medicine in case you miss a dose.
Do not stop the medication or leave it in between. There are situations where the symptoms have improved but the disease is not actually cured.
Store the medicine at room temperature. Ensure that you keep it away from heat and moisture. Throw away the unused medicine after its expiry.
What Precautions should be taken when using Prilosec?
• Prilosec contains many inactive ingredients which can cause allergic reactions in our body. Hence inform your doctor about various allergies you have.
• Consult your doctor before using the medicine in case you are suffering form liver diseases.
• Vitamin D and calcium supplements should be taken since this medicine can make bones brittle.
• Inform your doctor or dentist about various medications you have been taking in case you are going to have any surgery.
• Do not consume alcohol during the entire medication period.
• Consult your doctor before starting the medication course if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
• Prilosec may pass into breast milk. Hence consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
What are the benefits of Prilosec?
• Prilosec is very effective and causes minimum side effects.
• It remains in blood for longer duration of time and hence, provides prolonged relief.
• Its interactions with other drugs are limited. Hence it is preferred.
• It can be used for the short-term treatment of heartburns.
• It is also helpful in the treatment of esophagus cancer.
We only ship medications which are approved by FDA, Also please consult your doctor to make a full decision on what medication to take.